API docs; functional or pretty?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Jun 23 09:02:14 BST 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 01:29, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 22 June 2006 13:00, Thomas Zander wrote:
> they should be both pretty and functional. Documentation that is hard
> to read (or search through) will not be used. Frankly, the KOffice docs
> look like as presented in [3] look like crap, and I wouldn't use them
> if they looked like that.

The best feedback you can give is 'they look like crap'?
Whats better (in readability) on d.ko?  And whats worse?
I listed several items in my blog; which do you think are not well
researched and end up making things worse?
Have you asked yourself the question that you might get used to it and see
its actually more readable due to the color patterns, fontsize and
structuring?

> > b) package based to class based searching.
> > Most devs don't know if a class comes from kdecore or kdeui or
> > whatever, so they end up clicking and searching all. Moreover since
> > the classes without docs don't show up anywhere it tends to be a hit
> > and miss.
>
> with a few exceptions, using "kde: ClassName" works just fine for me,
> so I don't have a good grasp of what you mean here. In most cases I
> don't need to know that a class is in kdecore or kdeui.

I actually have the kdelibs docs and _more_ than half the classes are not
findable by kde:  None of the namespaces (kio etc) are findable like
that.
This makes it quite hard for me to believe you are actually never forced
to look in the header file because, as you state, 'kde:' works just fine.
If you look at the comments on my blog you'll note that people actually
use google to search for classes. So I do think I found a real problem.
If you don't suffer from it, then fine. But please note that you are not
the only developer _using_ kde APIs.

> > c) Better inter-project links.  I can now see (and click on) a parent
> > class even if its in another lib.
>
> that is nice.

I should note that publishing a TAGS file online means other projects can
link to it.  In my local koffice docs I can see (and click on) the
KCommand class that several of my classes inherit from.  This has the
most obvious advantage that in the 'Class Hierarchy' page I see all
commands next to each other since they all inherit from one class.
They used to be all over the place.

> I don't think the way you've done the API docs in [3] is better. I
> think it's worse actually. Why? Because I have to search for a
> particular class myself in this long list of other classes that I don't
> care about. I think the easiest way to solve this problem is to offer
> htdig searches if htdig is installed.

The idea behind this is to not be dependant on a server side search but to
have a local list of all classes that you can click on, that has tooltips
to show the package the class is in and that shows if a name is a class
or a struct or a namespace.  All without any internet access.
And, most of all, all the red names are never to be found in the current
docs; not giving feedback on why a search failed means people will lose
faith in the system and stop using it.

> > What can we do with the problem Adriaan put forth that as long as the
> > docs don't look and behave like the kde - site (which IMO makes them
> > unusable) we can't have them on developer.kde.org?
>
> Come up with something better that makes them both pretty and
> functional.
In your opinion;
- does the current dko way of putting classdoc at the top help or slow you
down when you look for constructors and public methods (which happens a
more often)?
- does the current dko way of having no short-text for methods, forcing
you to click on the method itself (and wait) help you, or slow you down
in finding the method name you want to use?
- Who uses the overview of libraries on the left?, its too big to search
visually for the one you want, and due to not using frames you can't use
search.

Oh, and how often do you _use_ the current docs v.s. reading header files.
I assume you only use docs since you found the 'kde:classname' way of
accessing them adequate. But I have to ask since if you don't you proved
my point of the docs not being used as a proper tool.
--
Thomas Zander