Porting dcop calls which return a DCOPRef

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jun 21 22:30:13 BST 2006

Quite often we have dcop calls which create an object, and return a DCOPRef which is
the dcop interface around the newly created object.

In the general case, to port DCOPRef to DBus we would need a struct that would contain
a service name and an object path, and I was telling Thiago how it would be nice to have
builtin support for that in QtDBus to be able to simply do s/DCOPRef/DBusRef/ in such code.
(He said the interface should probably be there too, but I'm not sure why. If I create a window
I get a ref to that window, but I know which interface I want to use to call methods on such things).

Anyway I just realized that in most cases, the DCOPRef being returned is for an object created
in process ... so there is little point in returning the service name again. If I ask konqueror-123
to create a window, the service of the window's dbus object will obviously be part of
konqueror-123 too. So I could just s/DCOPRef/QString/ and document that this is a dbus
object path. Does this make sense?
(see kdebase/konqueror/KonquerorIface.h for an example)