RSIBreak in kdereview

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Mon Jun 19 20:17:31 BST 2006

Hello Core Developers,

As you are hard working to get KDE4 in shape, maybe you find it time for
something completely different for a few minutes.

I just moved RSBreak to kdereview. I would like to request a move to
extragear.

What is it?
It is an application which tries to interrupt you friendly when you are
working behind the computer. This way you can take a break to do the dishes.
The aim is to assist in preventing you getting Repetitive Strain Injury[1].
It is being developed by Bram Schoenmakers and me.

State.
We have released a couple of versions (0.7.0 is just out) and it is doing its
job already for a few versions. All major distro's have packages[2], and
there are no bugs[3].

EBN (ifup)
Everything is documented with apidox [4][5]. Krazy only has 1 false hit [6].
There is no user documentation for RSIBreak. As it only is used by experienced
users, I dont think it is crucial. KDE 4 will contain some form of docs.

Usability
I'm working with Tina Trillitzsch on usability, the issues reported in her
first - not complete - report [7] are all fixed.

Graphics
I'm working with Lee Olson on the icons for the settings and the general tray
icon and logo. 0.7.0 contains a full set.

Startup
I tried callgrind and although i'm not sure howto interpret the results
exactly, i tried to optimize startup speed (smoothscale seemed 'not so
fast'). I would love it if someone invests time in this, but it is a small
util, so it is already starting quickly.

I hope I covered all items needed for review and if you review it, I'm happy
to make changes. I'm already very proud at RSIBreak and would be even more
proud if it leaves the playground area.

Tom Albers

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury
2.http://www.rsibreak.org/index.php/PackageInfo