LSB summit -- +/- OT

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jun 18 01:01:30 BST 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
<SNIP>
> there are a number of issues of great relevance to KDE on the agenda, as it
> has a very concentrated on effort on the desktop side of the LSB and making
> the LSB actually useful to ISVs, OSVs, etc...
<SNIP>

It appears that the compatibility (or incompatibility) of minor releases
is a problem that is going to need to be addressed.  The GNU build
system is based on the assumption that new minor releases will be
compatible (this problem might occur with KDE releases but I have never
had a problem).  But lately I have had several problems where the minor
releases are not compatible.  I previously mentioned GLib and GTK+.  I
have also found that (again) the new release of FreeType is not
compatible.  I also just found that LibXKlavir 2.9 won't work with GNOME
2.14 (it needs 2.2).

Currently, it is possible to link against specific versions but LibTool
doesn't pass this specificity along so it is a real mess to deal with.
That is, if I link aRts against GLib-2.8.6 and then link KDE stuff
against aRts, it doesn't get linked against GLib-2.8.6, it gets linked
against GLib-2 and then it doesn't work because LD.SO finds GLib-2.10.x.
:-(  Perhaps the '*.la" files could be hand modified to do this, but I
don't know how and it should really be automatic.

So, it appears that the solution to this problem would start with
LibTool and isn't really a LSB issue.  It would also appear that it
would be better if LD.SO could deal with something linked against, for
example, 2.8 and it would find 2.8.6 without needing an additional link:
glib.so.2.8 -> glib.so.2.8.6.

--
JRT