Call for Contributions - KDE 4 Porting and new API Guide

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri Jun 16 19:40:49 BST 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 12:45, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 16 June 2006 19:39, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to start putting together some more comprehensive documentation
> > for our new APIs and the process of porting to them for KDE 4. This will
> > hopefully end up being similiar to what Trolltech has for the Qt 4
> > porting guide.
> >
> > At the moment, I'm looking specifically for information on the D-Bus
> > stuff (most of which I should be able to get from the wiki) and on the
> > KDialogBase/KDialog improvements. However, other documentation is
> > welcome.
> >
> > Please send any contributions you wish to make to mattr at kde.org with
> > "[KDE4DOC]" in the subject, so I can filter it accordingly.
>
> Thanks for taking this up, but shouldn't this translate simply into
> improving kdelibs/KDE4PORTING.html rather than creating an alternate
> version of it?
>
> I think the KDialogBase/KDialog changes are quite well documented there
> already, and if not it can always be beefed up. Many other things are
> listed there too.

If by improving, you mean eventually replacing with much better (and perhaps
more permanent) documentation, sure. ;)

KDE4PORTING.html has a lot of information, and eventually information for this
guide will be pulled from there and we should continue to keep
KDE4PORTING.html updated. So far, the things I've had the most pain with
personally have been dbus and kdialog related, so that's what I decided to
start with. One of the goals of doing this is to provide a more professional
look and feel to our documentation in attempt to improve developer relations
by making it easier to hack on KDE because we have such great docu. (Yes, our
documentation is good already, but I want to make it better)

> dbus is a bigger change and indeed would bloat up that document if it was
> all inline there, so maybe it could move to kdelibs/doc/kde4/ and use
> multiple documents there. I just think all this should be done in
> subversion rather than over email ;-)

I agree. I actually plan on using developer.kde.org for this so that an svn
checkout of kdelibs or websvn isn't necessary to view the documentation. I
have big plans, but I'm trying to start smaller and scale up as needed. :)

Using email for the time being serves as a way I can aggregate any
contributions I receive before dev.k.o is ready. After that, people can just
add stuff to dev.k.o via subversion themselves. :)
--
Matt