cmake and progress reporting

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jun 16 16:24:12 BST 2006

At 10:33 AM 6/16/2006, Thomas Zander wrote:
>On Friday 16 June 2006 15:05, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>> At 03:50 PM 6/15/2006, Thomas Zander wrote:
>> >Creating silly things like:
>> >$cd krita
>> >$make clean
>> >$make install
>> > 97% complete
>> >Building CXX object krita/krita[snip]
>>
>> Current CVS looks like this:
>
>What are you saying? Exactly.
>
>Apart from markup differences, the percentage printed is still for the
>whole build and your example is rather contrived and misleading in the
>extreme. :(
>--

It shows how much of the total current task is completed.
You asked to build X, and it shows the time to completion of
X.  If X only needs one .o file built out of 100, then it will quickly
get to 99%.   There is no way to query make and have it tell
you how much stuff needs to be done.  IMO, I don't think it is
misleading, and it gives good feedback to the users.   If you
are only building one or two .o files, it will be so quick
that it really does not matter.   If you are building a bunch
of stuff, or starting from scratch, then the percent numbers will
be more accurate.   The example should scale.   I am certainly not
trying to mislead.  I was just showing what it actually looked like
in a small test.   In what way is that misleading?

-Bill