cmake and progress reporting

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 22:03:13 BST 2006

At 04:29 PM 6/15/2006, William A. Hoffman wrote:

>>> ...some KDE developers complained that cmake-generated Makefiles don't
>>> feature progress-reporting, so now it's there in cmake.
>>
>>You mean?
>>http://public.kitware.com/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3315
>>
>>Note how thats not what cmake does.
>
>Actually, that is what it does.   You should update your CVS CMake.

I take it back.  It does not do that.  I did not read your email
close enough.   It does show the percent done of the whole build.
So, if you only have 10 files out of 1000 to build, it will quickly jump
to 99% done.   I thought you were referring to the output format of
the progress.

I don't think we can do better than this with make as the tool.
But, I do think it is useful in many cases.   Currently, it does
not have a way to shut it off, but we could add a way to turn it off.
I do want it with a default on.

-Bill