Kolf UI: URL pointing to a gambling site [Proposal for URL handling]

Stefan Winter swinter at kde.org
Sun Jun 11 11:50:52 BST 2006

Hi,

someone just pointed out that there is a URL in the UI of Kolf that brings you
via some domain grabber to a gambling site. The URL is in Kolf -> Game ->
New -> Courses (or similar, usinge locale de right now) near the top of the
dialog and reads

katzbrown.com/kolf/Courses/User Uploaded/

which triggers 404, redirect, whatnot, and eventually ends up at
the "Intertops" gambling agency. It obviously wasn#t meant to be that way.

This is definitely not a good thing, and I wouldn't want similar things to
happen with other URLs. We might be promoting porn to kids playing Kolf if
the domain grabber changes his mind about where the redirect ends up.

The reason I write to kcd is that I think instead of just changing this one
URL, we should have a more robust way of handling URLs:
I'd like to propose that every URL that's clickable in a UI MUST refer to a
KDE team controlled website, and from there redirects to where the author
would like it to.
The advantage against the situation now is that if a domain grabbing or
similar occurs, the redirection target can be changed dynamically, at once,
and by the KDE team, as opposed to being fixed in the next patchlevel release
only as is the case right now.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--