cmake

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 22:17:13 BST 2006

At 04:49 PM 6/8/2006, Thomas Zander wrote:
>On Thursday 8 June 2006 22:23, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>> >Well; I have stated on this and on the CMake ML enough times the
>> > usecase that happens most often and CMake does not have any way to do
>> > that. (see bug 3348)
>> Can you try CVS cmake and see if make target/fast; make install/fast
>> works for you?
>
>I updated and installed it and indeed its a lot faster (down to 36 seconds
>compared to the 20 from unsermake). :-)
>
>I think I can life with it. ;)
>
>To answer your question; when I type:
>        make kwordprivate/fast install/fast
>* it does not react to changes in the CMakeLists.txt file in the same dir
>* it installs too much (bug 3349)
>
>The change that 'fast' makes from the normal target is that it does not
>watch any CMakeLists.txt file anymore. The request I made was to make
>subprojects self-sustained which means it should not listen to
>CMakeLists.txt files _outside_ the subproject. But it should still react
>to changes in the subproject and all its subdirs.

I think I finally understand what you want now. :)

I will talk with the cmake team about trying to come up with something that
works better in this case.  I am glad the /fast stuff can keep you going
for now, until the issue is resolved.

At least cmake was faster than unsermake for the whole parallel
build of kdelibs.  :)

-Bill