[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at bootsplash.org
Sun Jun 4 18:39:41 BST 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 10:36 PM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Kenneth Wimer wrote:
>> On May 31, 2006, at 8:16 PM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>> Which is why we need HiColor icons so that if you select an icon
>>> theme which doesn't have the needed icon that the icon loader will
>>> fall back to HiColor.
>>
>> please show me the part of the xdg spec that states this.
> Actually, it would be the Icon Theme Spec:
>
>  	Implementations are required to look in the "hicolor" theme if
> 	an icon was not found in the current theme.
>
> 	The lookup is done first in the current theme, and then
> 	recursively in each of the current theme's parents, and finally
> 	in the default theme called "hicolor"

I think that Oswalds mail to the xdg list explains the situation very
well.

> Doesn't do much good to look there if there aren't any icons to find.

But it does even less if the icons we install there are a mixup of
"neutral" yet ugly and differently looking styles. Many of the icons
you want to install there are crystal icons that are so poorly drawn
that they do not fit the real crystal style.

If KDE decides to use a theme as defualt, then that is were we should
stop. If the app icons need to go into hicolor so that other desktops
can use them, that is fine by me but letting this spec determine the
artistical values of our desktop  and apps is non-sensical.

> It isn't going to look in KDEClassic for a fallback icon unless we
> have HiColor inherit KDEClassic.
>
> <SNIP>
>>> Doesn't this just beg the question.
>> No, it refers to the spec.
> The spec doesn't say that.  It refers to HiColor as a theme.
>
> 	It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme
> 	look neutral, since it is a fallback theme
>
> A place for third party icons is *a* use of the HiColor theme.
>
> 	In order to have a place for third party applications to install
> their icons there should always exist a theme called "hicolor"
>
> Be careful not to conclude that Socrates' cat is a dog.

Be careful not to read anything into a spec. If it is not there it is
not implied. Installing other icons into this dir will create
overlaps between desktops, causing icons from one desktop to be
replaced by icons installed by another desktop later.

Bye,
Ken