two playgrounds

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Jun 3 10:40:58 BST 2006

On Saturday 3 June 2006 11:07, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > With CVS it was complex to move things properly, but with SVN it's a
> > pretty little dance. Just `svn move` it, as with any other
> > file/directory.
>
> Just as an aside, it's only pretty if you have broadband internet: "svn
> update" will delete the old folder/file and redownload the new
> folder/file - even if the contents are exactly the same.  Since "svn
> move" preserves history, everybody uses it whenever they like causing
> modem users much pain.
>
> Things are even more fun if you've modified a file in a folder and that
> folder is subsequently moved twice before you go to commit (you get
> involved in an ugly "svn switch" game).

Limitations like this make me think we should push the use of distributed
revision management systems more. For example, the ones I tried do a move
much more intelligently; it really is a move not a delete and copy like
svn does.

It also makes it a lot easier to start a new project and share that with a
couple of users basically eliminating the need for the playground in svn.
All thats needed is a http space.

For people who read my blogs, its no secret that for the last 2 years I've
become a huge fan of darcs. (darcs.net)
--
Thomas Zander