Fwd: Re: class KWin for win32

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sun Jul 30 19:14:38 BST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 18:13, Jarosław Staniek wrote:

> Subject: Re: class KWin for win32
> Date: Saturday 22 July 2006 18:13
> From: Jarosław Staniek <js at iidea.pl>
> To: KDE on Windows <kde-windows at kde.org>
>
> On Saturday 22 July 2006 13:33, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Whle compiling kdebase I noticed that class KWIn is unix only. But for
> > some functions in there I see no reason why this should be.
> > Are there any objections against implementing KWin on win32 (although
> > most of the functions won't work because win32 simply doesn't support
> > them)?
>
> This was the plan for KDE4, IIRC.
> Maybe we could have a more descriptive name than KWin, I dont know what.

 kdelibs/TODO has my entry about merging KWin class functionality into
KWinModule (because then KWin the app has to use KWinInternal namespace and
that's a pain e.g. in gdb). If KWinModule is still not a good name, it can be
called KWMModule ... uhm, ok, maybe feel free to suggest a better one :).

> Inheritance:
>
> KWin (interface, only common methods here)
>
>  : KX11Win (X11-specific methods are added here)
>  : KWindowsWin (stupid name, win32-specific can be added here)
>  : KMacWin (...)
>
> What do you think?

 Why? The only "advantage" of this I can think of is a bunch of #ifdef's
required in apps. IMHO simply calls that don't have an implementation on some
platform for whatever reason (not needed, feature doesn't exist) should
simply be a no-op.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer