KSystemTrayIcon and tooltips

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sun Jul 30 10:59:29 BST 2006

Le dimanche 30 juillet 2006 11:05, Michael Olbrich a écrit :
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:27:37AM -0400, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 July 2006 04:53, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > What is the reason you would want to do that? Is the property changing
> > > so often you can't update the tooltip property whenever it changes?
> >
> > Yes, the KTTS status is constantly changing.  It would be more efficient
> > to update the tooltip when it is needed.
>
> That would mean the tooltip wont change while it is shown. It the status
> changes that often I would expect a life update while the mouse is
> hovering above the icon.

Also there is the amarok tooltip that show the time we are in the track.

I think that an update of the tooltip only when requested my save CPU time.
specially if the tooltip content change often, or need lot of CPU to be
computed.

Another feature that is not possible with KSystemTrayIcon is to guess the
location of the systemtray icon. It is usefull to display a balloon or
something else around the system tray.
There is of course the message function. but this popup may be not enough (it
doesn't allow to put buttons on it for example)
We encountered that problem when porting the Kopete balloon   (althought we
could maybe move to knotify for this one.)