KSelectAction

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 12:44:22 BST 2006

Hi!

On Thursday, 27. July 2006 09:47, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Removing the accelerator manager is just not an option.
Yes it is... as long as there's a better substitute.

> GUIs are build more often without any accells assuming the manager will add
> them. And thats a good thing.
Actually, Hamish pointed out a killer argument against accelerator managers;
when they were introduced, I was also among those who found the idea
brilliant, however I changed my mind because *changing accelerators* are the
worst thing to happen.

There might be a different between
- people using the accelerators to visually open a menu and choose items
without using the mouse (accelerator managers are perfectly fine here), and
- people remembering the accelerators and using them for months as some sort
of multi-key shortcuts.

I am among the latter, and I can tell you that it's a hell of a mess when the
accelerators change, because suddenly you are activating random menu options
(possibly dangerous, or at least hard-to-undo), and you have to carefully
look what you actually did, and then train your brain not to do so again (it
may happen several times before you learned).  That's what I call bad user
experience, and I am very much in favor of ideas how to improve this.  (For
example, introduce prioritized want-to-have-accelerators which are respected
by the accelerator managers, or similar.)

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS