KSelectAction

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Thu Jul 27 04:45:43 BST 2006

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 20:18, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 10:42, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > As a side note, I also take issue with the usability of accelerator
> > managers - they produce inconsistent results especially with dynamic
> > GUIs
>
> My observations don't place blame that simple. The inconsistencies that
> occur are due to the fact we now use two conflicting technologies.  We
> should either choose to manually add shortcuts or do it automatically.
> For various reasons automatically just produces better results and the
> only correct road to take here is to remove most of the accelerators from
> the sourcecode.  People should stop using labels with '&' in it and
> assume the manager will add them.
>
> This tends to make dynamic guis work better as well.

Well, this is getting a bit OT for k-c-d, but the problem I have is when the
gui elements change, the accelerator manager picks a different set of
accelerators.  In dynamic guis, this happens often.  This has the effect that
any accelerators that the user learns are not guaranteed to invoke the same
action the next time around.  Applications using parts, and KMenu are a good
examples.

Cheers,
Hamish.