kdelibs coding style

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Mon Jul 24 11:19:05 BST 2006

Dear Zack,

Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2006 23:44, schrieb Zack Rusin:
> (picking this email pretty much at random to give a broadcast response
> to everyone because I know you don't seriously expect me to read all
> those emails).

Sure, we know your filter dumps any mails from non-veggies. So read this from
a veggie for the past two weeks (there aren't any animals in chocolate?). ;)

Or: Why did you sent your email to a mailing list if you are not interested in
the answers? Strange attitude IMHO. What would you think if person X sends a
proposal here and shows no interest to your position if it does not fit into
her wants?

> First of all let me make this perfectly clear: this was not a email
> suggesting discussing a style to pick. So all those emails saying "but
> i don't like rule x or y" are completely offtopic (except the "all
> classes start with Q" one ;) ) - it's nice you have an opinion but in
> that particular case you may as well point out your eating habits or
> favorite colors. The proposal was (i thought) very clear: adopting the
> same style that our underlaying library is using in the core libraries
> of all KDE. That style was "Qt library style", it wasn't "Zack's style
> with Charles' additions" so just get over it.

Should we really have put more brain into decoding "With much love from
Russia", eh?

So please get one other thing clear: There were some emails suggesting
discussing the style to pick (or if at all). With serious thoughts. Thoughts
that would like to be answered. And also were by serious defenders of the
proposal.

> Like I mentioned it's either all or nothing. Which with a minimal set of
> cognitive skills you should be able to figure out, means: either we'll
> accept the style that is already well defined (Qt style) or freaking
> never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (a few more evers
> maybe) agree on a common style.

With a minimal set of social skills you should be able to figure out that this
does not work with KDE's (previous) development and discussion style.  Come
on, did you really think so?

> It's really very simple: some disagree
> because they feel that someone should, everyone has different indention
> taste, some, clearly coughing-syrop abusers, think their freedom is
> endangered by having a more consistant indention style or something
> else. Reaching unanimous in a group this large is never going to
> happen, that's why we have TWG.

Never going to happen? So how did it come any decisions were ever made? Like
when to switch to KDE4? To make no further KDE3.6 release? Which build system
to choose? Repository software? Etc.?

Something like a TWG never had to step in, because there were some serious
discussions. Everyone who felt so could bring his arguments in. And then some
kind of consensus was reached which usually didn't piss off that many people,
because they were heard and had a chance to influence. And usually accepted
if they could not pursue enough others (or those executing ;). At least in my
perception.

> Now that everyone complained a bit, brought up some pretty funky
> conspiracy theories and sent amount of emails that can be classified as
> scary by even the most savvy readers it's time for The Working Group
> ninjas to step in, have a vote and decide.

For which I hope they decline from that everything or nothing approach and
consider to soften the too sharp edges which there may be for some.

Regards
Friedrich (wannabe kdelibs-developer)