kutils/KEdit

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 02:07:07 BST 2006

On 7/22/06, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is not a good idea to judge the usefulness of a program
> purely on when someone last committed to it - KEdit hasn't received
> any attention because there is basically nothing to maintain.  It
> consists of a text editing widget, a toolbar and a menu.

You are not incorrect, but it is also not that simple. There are some
bugs that need looking into:

http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=kedit&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

A few feature requests are also in there that may be helpful. There is
also porting effort to KDE4 that must be taken into account. Testing
to make sure everything still works once porting is done. Someone to
answer users who find the inevitable bugs.

The reality is no program is ever "finished." Especially not in a fast
moving environment like KDE. KEdit could stay the same forever in
extragear, but when it is part of a module it requires constant upkeep
even to stay in the same place. Therefore, an active maintainer should
be looked upon very seriously.

>  people need somewhere to quickly jot notes or copy and paste
> a few blocks of text.
>
> I'm really don't mind *how* KDE 4 satisfies that particular need, just
> that it does.

Might I suggest KJots?  :)