kutils/KEdit

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jul 22 22:18:01 BST 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 16:33, Robert Knight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The only reason I use KEdit from time to time is because it starts up
> more quickly than the alternatives (or at least feels quite a bit
> quicker) and because it is simple.
>
> If KWrite could start instantaneously, and if the menus could be
> simplified a little bit then I wouldn't mind if KEdit was dropped.
> To explain what I mean about the menus, the "Tools" menu is longer
> than the default window height of the whole program.  If I should
> accidentally mouse over the encoding menu, it expands to fill the
> whole screen and part of a second menu.
>
> On a side note, what is the difference between KWrite and Kate?

The editor part (KPart) is the same, but the GUI is obviously different.
KWrite is basically KEdit with KatePart (or whatever it's called) as
editor widget.

> Or in other words, when would I want to use KWrite instead of Kate?

I use KWrite when I quickly want to edit a single text file. (You'd
probably use KEdit in such a situation.) I use Kate (with the new great
support for sessions) for different tasks that require editting more
than one file.

Regards,
Ingo