KParts, widget() and multiple views in katepart

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Jul 22 06:14:25 BST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 00:42, Adam Treat wrote:
> Unfortunately, this introduces a
> problem because KParts insists on handling the deletion of the part if the
> widget is deleted.

That is something I would be glad to remove. I actually even listed it in kdelibs/TODO.
It just causes too many problems.

I would remove both auto-deletions (the view deletes the part, and the part deletes the view).
But the "porting" (fixing the apps accordingly) might be difficult.
In most cases the part view has a parent widget, so views won't leak,
but parts are another story. We'll need to recheck deletion of those.

This will also simplify/change some code in konqueror which had to deal with both kinds of
deletion (including parts that delete themselves like Ctrl-D in konsolepart iirc).

I just don't have time for any of this until September... so feel free to go ahead.

David (currently in San Jose, California)