kdelibs coding style

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 21:31:30 BST 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 4:24 pm, Maksim Orlovich wrote:

> >> Of course the reason it's inconsistent is that some people have attitude
> >> that they don't have to respect the author's choice. The same attitude
> >> that this proposal seems to share.
> >
> > So, when enough people do not respect an author's choice... whether out
> > of carelessness or other, what do we do?
>
> The author can decide whether to fix it up, talk to the commiter, etc.

Which author?  The guy who created it in 2001 and is no longer around?  The
file is so messed up that no one has a clue what the original style was?
Everyone just keeps editing with their own style, because who the hell knows
what the 'official' style is supposed to be for that particular file...?

> > When it can't be determined who the
> > author of the code is or the original author isn't around, what do we
> > do?
>
> If the code isn't maintained, we got bigger problems than indentation.

It isn't about who the maintainer is.  Many of the files in kdelibs have no
official maintainer.  You can look to see who made the last big change, but
usually many people share 'responsibility' for it.

Fact is, if we don't have some kind of fall back style then things continue as
they are.  We have the style differing from method to method to method.

And that is the worst of all possible outcomes.

Adam