kdelibs coding style

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 17:01:49 BST 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 17:49, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 1969 19:00, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > With much love from Russia comes temperature checker (prediction:
> > it's hot! flaming hot!) in the form of a proposal for a common
> > coding style in kdelibs.
>
> Zack,
>
> Is this style pretty much what you get if you use your emacs stuff in
> kdesdk? If so, I've been following the style for years.

Yes, it basically is :) The style in kde-emacs was mostly what used to
be used in kdelibs (also happened to be the style that two main authors
of kde-emacs, David and I, really enjoy ;) ).
For Qt hacking I also put the following two lines in my .emacs-dirvars
file:
kde-emacs-after-parent-string: ""
evaluate: (c-set-offset 'inline-open '0)
the first one makes kde-emacs stop inserting a space after "(" and
before ")". the second doesn't extra indent "{" for inline definitions
which cc-mode does by default (and it looks really ugly :) ).

Adam on IRC suggested providing modelines for Kate and Vi users so that
the style is automatically enforced like with kde-emacs. I think that's
a great idea.

Nothing is so easy as to deceive one's self; for what we wish,
we readily believe. --Demosthenes