Pimpl copying

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jul 17 07:01:22 BST 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 21:13, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 14 July 2006 11:35, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> >> Searching for "Private;" shows that the naming is totally inconsistent
> >> in kdelibs. So the question is, must it be consistent? And if, which
> >> name should be used?
> >
> > yes, it should be consistent. no, i don't think we should spend time
> > discussing it on this list. there are people who feel one way, others who
> > feel another ... it's almost purely personal aesthetic opinion. and opinions
> > can (and will) be discussed (or argued) forever without resolution.
> >

> Yes, I also think it should be consistent and I also think we should
> avoid such endless discussion. (I can't imagine that someone is
> really annoyed by such a trivial decision)
>

> > this, along with other coding style issues for kdelibs, should simply be
> > mandated by the TWG since they are the closest we have to a kdelibs
> > maintainer team and the rest of us can just abide by that.

Honestly, for all those "how to write library classes" issues, I would say, let's
just do what Qt does. Consistent, and avoids re-inventing (and re-discussing!)
the wheel.

Qt uses QFooPrivate instead of QFoo::Private, maybe the reason is the visibility
issue, but in any case I'd suggest we just do that.

Similary, I would suggest just using Q_DISABLE_COPY, etc.