Trolltech <-> KDE contact point for critical issues

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Jul 15 15:55:38 BST 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 12:45:49PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Saturday 15. July 2006 12:17, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > when qt4.3 brings these shiny new features we will a) deprecate
> > "half" of our api in kde4.1 and b) be entirely stuck with our
> > implementations until kde5 in cases where the qt new implementations
> > are no suitable base for our apis fixed in kde4.0 (think
> > inheritance, but also behavior compatibility). in any case we'll
> > again have concurrent implementations in qt and kde.  oh, well ...
>
> Yes, and with Qt 4.4 we'll have exactly the same situation again.
> Hence the line to draw :)

that's pretty obvious. however, if qt and kde had the same development
cycle, at least newly introduced features would not be duplicated. of
course it's unrealistic to keep the release cycles in sync (obviously
even in this case where it could buy kde a lot), but i can't see how you
can advertise qt4.2's feature freeze at this point being to kde's
benefit. ;)