modifier-only shortcuts

Mirko Boehm mirko at kde.org
Fri Jul 14 11:03:16 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 21:02, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> 3) thousands (millions?) people use those combinations on windows and
> even X (check xkb options for switching groups) and they don't complain,
> instead I see people complain about kxkb
Andriy,

now that you mention it: as long as I used Windows, it happened to me that I
accidentally switched keyboard layouts during my regular work. I consider it
a mis-feature and annoying. If there is a chance, I would suggest to come up
with something way more intuitive. Also, we need to make sure that (unlike in
Windows) the layout switch does not just happen, but the user gets some kind
of feedback.

This may or may not be general for modifier-only shortcuts, but serves as a
rather discouraging example. If there are no better ones, I would  not want a
way to use such shortcuts in the KDE API.

--Mirko.
--
KDE e.V.: http://ev.kde.org