New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 14 16:55:20 BST 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 7:43, Jaison Lee wrote:
> It's exactly this argument that scares me. A lot. See, I kinda like
> the *current* version of KDE. I hate to lose things that I use and
> like now for some mysterious future that doesn't exist yet.

well, let's keep our perspective here. we're discussing the single most broken
UI concept in kde right now and extrapolating changes in that to the whole
desktop experience. if we look at the broad range of changes going on, the
less heinously broken parts are improving in an additive way.

as we move forward with kde4, there will certainly be some changes and some
hard decisions that get made ... but those are the spot cases not the common
case.

> If KDE4 looks and acts completely differently than KDE3 and there is no way
> to restore a more classic environment are all of these users are going to
> want to switch?

this has been something on my (and others) mind right from the beginning. in
fact, i even discuss this in my kde4 presentations i give at conferences. you
are right that we must provide a "similar enough" experience.

hell, plasma will even let you have nothing but the contents of a directory
shown as icons, full screen, if you want it to. e.g. "classic mode". i
shudder at the thought of running my own desktop like that, but it will at
least be a possibility and i expect that at least some vendors will
(unfortunately) ship it in that configuration by default.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness