DBus/QtDBus Concerns

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jul 13 19:44:04 BST 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:25, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2006 19:56 schrieb Olaf Jan Schmidt:
> > Hi Marius!
> >
> > On the FSG Accessibility list, people are questioning our planned move of
> > the AT-SPI infrastructure from CORBA to DBUS based on the analysis
> > already named by Gary:
> > http://eleceng.dit.ie/frank/rpc/CORBAGnomeDBUSPerformanceAnalysis.pdf
> >
> > Unfortunately the analysis does not really explain the exact bindings
> > used, so it is impossible to evaluate properly.
>
> All the executables, as well as the source code and the build files
> (either .sh scripts or Makefiles) are available from that page, too:
>    http://eleceng.dit.ie/frank/rpc/benchmarking.tar.gz
>
> Of course, they are using their own gnome corba/dcop/dbus bindings. We
> might try it out with kde's dcop and qt's dbus bindings, too.
>
> Also, he's just evaluating the speed of many function calls with
> practically no data transferred. I wonder how the results are when large
> data chunks are transferred.

Note that the explanation on the performance difference points to the
dispatching. That's something that is fixable in the binding I think, if
someone would really care. (or if someone really wants to make a lot of
calls)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation