DBus/QtDBus Concerns

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Thu Jul 13 17:03:37 BST 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:43, Thomas Zander wrote:
>On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:55, David Jarvie wrote:
>> >
>> >Only if those applications were malicious. If you expect things to get
>> >lost due to bugs, I suggest you take a long look at the interaction
>> > you have via dbus since that may need some work ;)
>>
>> I'm thinking more in terms of people trying to do clever things with
>> the "private" interface, which might mess things up.
>
>Bugs have to be fixed; this has nothing to do with the transport medium.
>Its like Windows saying it will only send emails to other Windows boxes
>since others might loose it. I won't even comment on how wrong that is.

But if it was possible to check the sender, it would eliminate any possibility of such bugs.

>> >What you are suggesting is to close the alarms modification to one
>> > client only. I think this is fundamentally the wrong path to walk
>> > down.
>> The alarm daemon never adds, deletes or modifies alarms. Only KAlarm
>> can do this, and it has public D-Bus functions for this purpose.
>
>So, you really are suggesting that nobody can create a KAlarm replacement
>that talks to the KAlarm daemon via dbus?

No, in theory you should be able to run the daemon with a different client (but not
simultaneously with KAlarm). In KDE 3, the daemon records which application has registered
with it, and only processes subsequent DCOP messages from that application. I want to use
the same checking in KDE 4.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.