Trolltech <-> KDE contact point for critical issues

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Thu Jul 13 15:32:17 BST 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 16:20, Simon Hausmann wrote:
[...]

> We would like to hear about issues and (missing) features in Qt 4 that are
> critical to the release of KDE 4.0. Getting the Qt dbus bindings working on
> Windows is a good example for that. (and thanks Peter for investigating,
> btw)

Worth mentioning:

Something I would like to see is a KCmdLineArgs class in Qt(although I would
give it a sensible name such as QApplicationArguments). One can argue it
isn't critical, but I think it matters a lot for code consistency and how KDE
code integrates with Qt.

It it is first of all basic functionality and its absence makes writing
console apps messy. I'm surprised there haven't been enough requests for it
or that Qt itself haven't needed it for its utilities.

For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if such a basic class pops into Qt
later on, and then we'll have KCmdLineArgs and Qt's(duplication, things that
doesn't work together, confusion, etc).

Also, KCmdLineArgs::appName() duplicates QCoreApplication::applicationName()
(or no?) so at least somekind of alignment with the Qt 4.0-way of doing
things is needed. I think there's more examples beyond appName().

It's not exactly a controversial idea to put such a thing in Qt, and it surely
would be useful. Or what do ya say trolls? :)

Cheers,

		Frans