DBus/QtDBus Concerns

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Jul 12 15:33:32 BST 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 15:57, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Actually; I implemented various similar frameworks; including one
> > grid-computing solution, and I never ever had the need to find the
> > name of the service connecting to me.
> > This is only needed when encrypting a connection and that implies a
> > handshake which will do something like this anyway.
>
> What about restrictions? A service might want to control whom and how
> it serves.

Sure, KWallet is one such client.

In 3.5 this functionality is extremely spoofable and the only reason its
being sent in the first place is because its something the user wants to
see.
So, basically I see that as the same thing as the handshake needed for
encryption in that is had better be secure and correct or else there is
no need to do it.

The positive part about using dbus is that we don't have to rely on KDE
(re)inventing the solution, as I'm pretty sure that ones it exists there
will be more that will use it.
--
Thomas Zander