New Prosal [was Re: policy change related to kdelibs snapshots]

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 17:55:59 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 7:30, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> separate branch (Kmessagebox broken? yay! KSystemTray changed in a very
> incompatible way all at once? yay!).

*sigh* this is how rumors get started. ksystemtray's primary (perhaps only
meaningful) change was that you couldn't get middle clicks anymore and if you
were doing fancy event capturing you'd have to rethink what you were
doing.... but both of those things are abuses of the systemtray, particularly
the latter, and should probably be done using applets.

this is OT for this thread, but i'd like to be properly represented here. =)

> > My most important requirement at this point is that library developers
> > are required to make sure their API changes make sense (in either porting
> > the apps for themselves or writing good porting guide material on use
> > cases).
>
> The most important point is that we have a structured way on when to merge
> refactorings (most importantly when ther was a branch where a snapshot of
> KDE compiled against, and when the API change was reviewed). Didn't we talk
> about API reviews and kdelibs teams forever on the meeting and now its all
> forgotten again? Great to see that the new kind of thunder didn't even last
> one week.

stop energy alert!!!!

*woot* *woot* <--- klaxons! (just got them installed, neat, huh?)

ok .. now that i've annoyed you with cuteness, let's talk without innuendo. we
want API reviews, the question is how and when to do them. the trick is to
strike a balance between agility / ease of involvement and quality /
structure. i agree this is an important topic. perhaps another thread would
be useful to discuss this rather than make this one thread meander in too
many different directions?

now back on topic:

personally ...... i don't see the problem with app developers simply not
updating kdelibs so bloody often. keep your libs and other modules old and
just work on your own stuff, and update everything every few weeks. a little
self-discipline would go a _long_ way here.

app devs are asking for kdelibs people to have all this structure and
discipline, which is good. but i don't see a reciprocating commitment from
many of the app devs. (i think the koffice devs are a nice exception here;
kudos boys 'n girls in KO land =) ... we could probably help them out with
this discipline by providing an API change timeline which could be as simple
as routine messages to k-c-d noting API changes. these should include what
changed, why it changed and who was involved (e.g. "who reviewed this
change"). it would be trivial via a script to go from that to a little
timeline that could be uploaded to a website somewhere. thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness