policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 11:06:16 BST 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 16:54, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Just my $0.02 -- right now it seems like we have the worst of both
> worlds.  Bleeding edge, where almost-always-broken-code lives, or
> snapshot, where it's not only out-of-date, but has
> unfinished-but-compilable code in it that will likely change again.

I think you misunderstand the needs of the application developers.

KDELibs is pretty cool and saves app developers a lot of work; but unlike
apps in kdebase, for example, the other apps hardly base their code on
kdelibs.

Sure; in KWord I wait until a good replacement of xmlgui is available and
done until I start to work on actions.  But that is hardly holding me up;
there are a million other things to do.

In other words; I'd rather wait a month and get stable features and be
productive inside my app, then spending most of my time struggling with
kdelibs features that are of secondairy importance to the main app.

Comparable case;
in 4.1.3 QTextDocument was already in Qt. Really cool and I started to
build on top of it.  Naturally I noticed it was dog slow, but who cares
when I hear that the 4.2 release will bring it upto speed.
And some time later I use 4.2 and see my software getting (a lot) better
by upgrading Qt. Thats a good feeling. Just to state that I really
appreciate better iibs, but its totally unneeded to follow their
day-to-day changes.

--
Thomas Zander