policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 07:05:19 BST 2006

Am Montag, 10. Juli 2006 22:32 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
> Therefore, as I suggested, it would be better to make simple changes always
> in trunk. source incompatible changes that require recompile everything
> will be scheduled on a special day, like the usual BIC friday we always
> had. Other nontrivial stuff has to be done on a branch.

So developers are only allowed to rename KFoo to KFooBar on fridays (it used
to be monday), right? But then you get a huge mess because everyone commits
his class rename and porting at the same time always getting conflicts because
someone else renamed KBar to KBarFoo and can only commit on fridays too.

And that's _exactly_ what the bleedingedge branch is about: a way to sort out
this kind of porting efforts _before_ they hit trunk on fridays/mondays. Big
changes should indeed happen in an extra branch and this branch has nothing
to do with it. This branch is about collecting all the small changes and to
collect them, so that application developers / trunk users (and I sure hope
we'll get more trunk users soon) don't have to recompile every half an hour,
but at most every couple of days (depending on the change rate in our API we
might want to merge quicker or slower to avoid what you're scribing as lost
SVN history).

Greetings, Stephan