Centralize tree-filter class?

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon Jul 10 20:51:52 BST 2006

Am Montag, 10. Juli 2006 21:23 schrieb Frans Englich:
> Here and there, people need to sort & filter hierarchial item models, and
> currently the wheel is reinvented for this. Known cases:
>
> * Recent thread "How to make QSortFilterProxyModel search through children
> in a treeWidget?" on kde-devel
> * kdebase/workspace/ksysguard(as mentioned by Tapsell)
> * kdenonbeta/kdom/patternist/
> * It often creeps up on qt-interest
> * Others?
>
> This makes me consider if such functionality should be centralized. The
> code is small, but can be tricky to write(due to the complex contracts Qt's
> classes have in this area). The documentation for one such class is here:
>
> http://patternist.sourceforge.net/documentation/API/classKXQTS_1_1TreeSortF
>ilter.html
>
> Should something like this be put centrally? Alternatives:
>
> A: Nope, it should not.
> B: One flirts with the trolls to get such functionality included in Qt 4.3
> C: One puts KTreeSortFilter in kdegui
>
> Currently, my preference is B. I have no particularly strong opinion about
> this, but perhaps others can give direction.

I don't think such a class has to be centralized as the application specific
demands usually outweight the common base. So putting such a class on some
webpage and a reference to patternist would suffice. Unfortunately all tries
to come up with such a "solution base" always suffered from outdating too
quickly ;(

Greetings, Stephan