policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sun Jul 9 22:46:40 BST 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 21:50, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> So I would like to propose that we use bleedingedge for all modules
> currently in KDE/ and changes to trunk/kdelibs/ should always come with a
> porting of bleedingedge to it.

100% support from me! That's even what I would like to do, but I'm unable to
because the other changes in trunk/kdelibs break compilation - so whenever I
adjust kdelibs I have to wait with porting the other modules until the next
snapshot is made. That I was able to provide the changes for kdebase for my
KCModule changes was only possible because I kept kdelibs at about the same
revision as the snapshot. Before committing the kdelibs change I, of course,
had to update and so after committing to kdelibs was not able to continue
further development in other modules.

So the rule should be that one revision of trunk/kdelibs and bleedingedge/* is
compilable? Perhaps not every revision if you don't want to (or can't) do the
commits in libs and bleedingedge in one go. But we should try to keep the
times between libs changes and bleedingedge adjustments as small as possible.

And I also support to keep the snapshot/trunk trunk/bleedingedge separation so
that app developers can work on trunk (without having to recompile everything
every hour) and kdelibs development + application adjustment can happen at
the same time.

--
C'ya
        Matthias