policy change related to kdelibs snapshots

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 9 21:52:25 BST 2006

A Diumenge 09 Juliol 2006 21:50, Stephan Kulow va escriure:
> Hi!
>
> I think the way we do trunk development at the moment has failed.
> A compiling KDE is more the exception than the rule and most of
> the time I have time for KDE4 development I need to patch something
> before I could even start looking at applications ;(
>
> This _has_ to change and soon. If I may remember that we're doing
> this "qt4 porting" for over a year now and so far KDE4 does not bring
> any new features afaik. It only adds new bugs. This won't change as long
> as we can't get KDE to build more often. And we can't simply ignore all
> modules beside libs and base.
>
> So while we shouldn't miss the opportunity to cleanup applications that are
> no longer maintained and should rather be dropped than ported, we shouldn't
> drop all porting efforts onto the application developers.
>
> So I would like to propose that we use bleedingedge for all modules
> currently in KDE/ and changes to trunk/kdelibs/ should always come with a
> porting of bleedingedge to it. Otherwise kdelibs development will continue
> stay out of touch with applications. I kind of doubt the ksystray change
> would have happened the way it did if a closer look was taken on how the
> applications are using it.

Does that mean EVERYONE (kdelibs and app devels) should use bleedingedge or
only libs devels?

If it is only libs devels i see a problem with syncing my changes adding
features to trunk/ and changes of libs that happen in bleedingedge/

If it is everyone that should use bleedingedge why not simply use trunk?

Albert