modifier-only shortcuts

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 7 00:04:43 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 14:39, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Andriy Rysin :]
> > 6) the only suggestion I can do to people right now for KDE3 is to use
> > smth like Ctrl+Menu (which I am using myself) or Ctrl+/ which MAY happen
> > to be together on your keyboard. The problem is obvious - many keyboards
> > either don't have those keys or they are not together.
>
> I myself use RWin only (through a bit trickery with options in Kxkb).
> Incidentally, in Gnome's layout manager I can chose RWin (or any other
> switcher offered by Xkb) without any trickery. I'd fully support the same
> for Kxkb.

i believe this is about defaults, not configurability. of course the user
should be allowed to change their desktop experience; but defaults are
another issue.

> In my surrounding many people are using some half-ass ASCII transcription

this is a very good question. how many people in our user base today (and
tomorrow?) use this and how often? because if (made up numbers) 25% of people
use it weekly then maybe it does make sense to have the default be an
intrusive key combo like ctrl+shift.

conversely, how many people use multiple languages / keyboard layouts that
don't switch regularly (for whom an intrusive key combo would be bad)?

how many people use multiple layouts for whom switching as easily as
ctrl+shift would be a surprise?

> I personally had great experience abandoning Alt+Shift in favor of RWin, as

you are not your user.

> If I sound a bit grumpy, among other things that's because I have a small
> doubt that Aaron's idea, of pressing three keys and then selecting layout
> from pop-up list, might not have been just a sarcasm.

please, find a two key combo that doesn't cause problem for the rest of us.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness