modifier-only shortcuts

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Thu Jul 6 22:15:09 BST 2006

[ Thomas Zander ]
> > 4) the only problem with two modifiers is if you were thinking pressing
> > e.g. ctrl+shift+a and then changed your mind before pressing 3d key - I
> > occasionly get into that situation - in this case I have to press it
> > again to switch back to my original layout - but this is not special -
> > I occasionly get into similar situation by holding Shift for 8 secs
> > thinking :)

Why don't you simply switch these keyboard gestures off in the dialogue that
appears? This is a single click.

> So, basically you are saying that since something else is broken its OK to
> add another broken thing? I Hope not!

The accessibility keyboard gestures are not 'broken'. They are supported by
Windows, Mac OS X, GNOME and KDE, and they are part of a soon-to-be-released
standard by the Free Standards Group.

> The 'holding shift' was something else that the usability team convinced
> KDE to disable by default.

I hope you are wrong, because I do not remember the usability team ever to
have made a request on the HCI list to disable this by default. I only
remember developers asking to disable it by default on kde-core-devel. The
accessibility team replied with the following suggestion (which was accepted
without objections): The gestures are active by default, but will be
automatically disabled in kpersonalizer unless a checkbox is set (so that
they can be used in kpersonalizer and do not annoy later). On distributions
that remove kpersonalizer, they can be easily switched off the first time
they are invoked.

And while I agree with your evaluation of the khtml accesskey problem, please
keep in mind that the accessibility team has no objections to changing it. We
just didn't want to make this change during string freeze, we don't want to
change it in a minor release, and we first want to have a convincing solution
by the usability team how to migrate existing accesskey users to a different
shortcut. Simply ranting about our work being 'broken' is not a constructive
contribution.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of