modifier-only shortcuts

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 6 20:40:42 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 13:02, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> 1) it's not a single key shortcut, so it's not completely applicable to
> the related issue you've posted above - I'd agree that one key shortcut
> is bad/dangerous but two modifier keys don't have problems described in
> the link

except we use two-modifier shortcuts a lot.

> 2) catching e.g. Ctrl+Shift not gonna affect _any_ derivative shortcuts,
> as it'll be activated only if you press and RELEASE ctrl+shift, if you
> press ctrl+shift+a it'll go through to corresponding handler

except unless you change your mind and press ctrl+shift then let go without
pressing the modifier.

and since it's essentially a hidden behaviour then you end up switching
layouts. very poor form.

how about ctrl+shift+tab ... where it would pop up a box just like the switch
window or switch desktop box and show the layouts available ...

> 3) thousands (millions?) people use those combinations on windows and
> even X (check xkb options for switching groups) and they don't complain,
> instead I see people complain about kxkb

yes, ctrl+shift+k is a bad idea.

as for "people not complaining" there is something to be said about people
learning how to work with crap.

> 4) the only problem with two modifiers is if you were thinking pressing
> e.g. ctrl+shift+a and then changed your mind before pressing 3d key - I

ah .. i see this has occured to you.

> occasionly get into that situation - in this case I have to press it
> again to switch back to my original layout - but this is not special - I
> occasionly get into similar situation by holding Shift for 8 secs
> thinking :)

and that's why we turned this off by default. it's poor form.

> 5) now the main agrument for things like Ctrl+Shift is convinience -

.. at the price of interferences elsewhere.

> 6) the only suggestion I can do to people right now for KDE3 is to use
> smth like Ctrl+Menu (which I am using myself) or Ctrl+/ which MAY happen
> to be together on your keyboard. The problem is obvious - many keyboards
> either don't have those keys or they are not together.

yes.. picking well known "physical" keys is a good idea. of course, qt4
support physical keys now rather than only providing logical access to them.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness