GUI framework in kde4

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jul 6 17:45:35 BST 2006

On Thursday 6 July 2006 17:54, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> We could also detect which actions are unconnected and hide them... but
> isn't this more of an application bug?  To me it doesn't really make
> too much sense.

Hmm, with that answer I think that means that you may not know a usecase
thats pretty common now;
a user tweaks the GUI by altering the kword.rc file and by just installing
that replacement file he gets a new UI.
No recompile needed.

This is very usefull for usecases where KWord is made to look like
MSWindows with altered menus and toolbars.  Or any other application.
Friends just send the kword.rc file to each other.

The application of that usecase to the new workflow meant that the user
will start up designer and tweak the UI from there. Making mistakes
produces no warning whatsoever and shows the new (but useless) menu item.
Hence my request.

I am starting to worry if this framework is not too focussing on one and
only one workflow blocking out cool things that we can do right now with
a pretty versatile framework.  Happy to be proved wrong, though ;)

--
Thomas Zander