KDE4 proposal: Paths in i18n strings

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Wed Jul 5 17:44:37 BST 2006

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> i18n("Filename: %1", argPath(fname)); // -> Filename: <b>%1</b>
>> pi18n("Filename: %1", argPath(fname)); // -> Filename: "%1"
>
> [: Frans Englich :]
> I don't think this works. Where something will end up isn't necessarily
> determined at compile time, but is a dynamic thing. It all depends on
> where messages will be redirected. [...]

My head is about to split :)

So far, programmers also had to decide what format message will take, ie.
to put or not rich text. And I think we should really avoid having some
widgets take QString's and other KLocalizedString's, that'd be a mess.

So, while perhaps not optimal, I think it should be kept simple: QString's
still bread and butter of GUI, and KLocalizedString's only for commando
actions (ie. programmer wants to insert argument later, pick translation
from different language, delay translation, etc.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)