cmake install_files target has changed behavior in a dangerous way.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jul 4 19:35:32 BST 2006

On Tuesday 4 July 2006 20:21, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > How do others feel about this?  Should the buildfile writers be more
> > knowledgable, or should damaging your system be hard ?
>
> Come on.
> We _must_ be able to install things outside of CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX,
> and now we are.
> If you use an absolute path, it will be installed to the absolute path.

Thats just the point; the context where the path is used never ever
requires the developer to use an absolute path.
Context here states everything we do is inside the prefix.

> If you want it to be relative to CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, use a relative
> path.

If you want to install outside the prefix; use
install (FILES  foo.h ABSOLUTEDESTINATION /etc/)
or install_outside_prefix()

If you need a certain functionality in a tiny amount of cases you should
not make the core API for all the other cases harder to use. This is
common  sense that you should apply here, since I can't always ask you to
write my cmake files.

--
Thomas Zander