KDE4 proposal: Paths in i18n strings

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Jul 3 21:58:56 BST 2006

We have two distinct problems to address here.

> [: Frans Englich :]
> To make KLocalizedString aware of types like QDir seems to solve the
> problem of paths, but how does one achieve the same improvement for other
> strings? What is it people generally inserting with %N, and what can be
> done for making it consistent?

> [: Jarosław Staniek :]
> For these cases what about something as simple as:  %'N' ? If only
> translators can stand "User '%1' joines", they'd most likely stand
> "User %'1' joined" as well (?)

First is, how to tell what an argument is, so that formatter in
KLocalizedString can act accordingly?

My first idea would be to overload KLocalizedString::subs method
generously, as it seems most in C++ spirit. For this, however, every type
of argument would have to be below KLocalizedString in hierarchy, which is
pretty damn low, as KLocalizedString is in kdecore.

I don't think marking output by placeholders is the best idea. Even if we
could hide that from translators, it would still remain something
out-of-the-world for programmers to learn, and they would have to rely on
repository infrastructure (what if someone develops for KDE outside of our
repository?). Outside of code, it is prefferable to have normal Gettext
operation cycle.

But since using some semantic marking might indeed be most universal, how
about wrapping arguments themselves? "Tags" would be set of same-prefix
functions returning wrapper objects under control of KLocalizedString. For
example:

i18n("Here is path %1 there is URL %2", argPath(myPath), argUrl(myUrl));

where:

KLocalizedString::ArgPath argPath(const QString &path);
KLocalizedString::ArgUrl argUrl(const QString &url);
etc.

and subs methods would be overloaded for these wrappers.

This would also go the way of semantics versus presentation, so it should
be a familiar and consistent concept.

Looking this way, overloading for particular types might end up being same
thing, but with unnecessary extra layer of indirection. One would easily
expect then to find things like:

i18n("Here is path %1 there is URL %2", QFile(myPath), KURL(myUrl));

> [: Jarosław Staniek :]
> Posible problem: we may want to display the mesage with path to a log
> file or std(out|err}. The KLocalizedString class should know it's the
> case, so there may be aditional flag for doing this

This is the second problem, how to signal "formatting class" for the
arguments (rich, plain, ...)?

The idea to toss KLocalizedString-s around as arguments to constructors,
and have widgets request proper formatting class, might seem appealing at
first moment. Eg. KLocalizedString could have extra toString*() methods,
to signal the formatting class.

But, we have toyed several times with this idea in other contexts, and
there always pops the same counter-argument: what about pure Qt widgets?
They will want QString, period. Also, it would not be easy to say for
unambiguously which constructor arguments should be KLocalizedString and
which left QString.

So I think we could settle on one default formatting class, and have
programmers chose others. For example, we can say i18n* calls do rich
text, and have pi18n* calls for plain text.

i18n("Filename: %1", argPath(fname)); // -> Filename: <b>%1</b>
pi18n("Filename: %1", argPath(fname)); // -> Filename: "%1"

Of course, we would still have extra toString*() methods for ki18n* calls.
And, for brevity and consistency, also have subs<TAG> methods when ki18n*
are used:

ki18n("Filename: %1").subsPath(fname).toString();
ki18n("Filename: %1").subsPath(fname).toStringPlain();

***

Hm, this is all turning Docbook/Latex, isn't it? :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)