KDE4 proposal: Paths in i18n strings

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Mon Jul 3 12:14:13 BST 2006

On Monday 03 July 2006 08:00, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Hello,
> This is a result of my discussion with Chusslove Illich
> <caslav.ilic at gmx.net> on paths for i18n strings:
>
> http://kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?KDE4TODOs_PathsInI18n

"since we're displaying a richtext,"

Does this assumption really hold?

Some applications output to std/errout, and are logging. As I see it, that
will break if an i18n call generates "<b>foo</b>". This relates to the
KMessageHandler discussion here on k-c-d a month(?) ago.

I think it would be great if i18n was aware of what medium the string should
be displayed in, in order to adapt in the most appropriate way. That would
achieve the best result.

For example, imagine a compiler(KJS, Patternist, some KDevelop thingy, etc)
outputting a message. When having a GUI, the document URI is nicely marked
up, and identifiers are displayed in type writer front. When sent to a
console, pretty `´-quotes are used consistently and identifiers are colored.

Here the simplicity of i18n shines through. If an object was used instead of
global, static functions, it would be different. Perhaps one can have that
too as an alternative to the i18n calls. Somehow.

Cheers,

		Frans