GUI framework in kde4

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 21:53:16 BST 2006

On Sunday 02 July 2006 19:08, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please see the following document created at Trysil about improving XMLGUI
> (actually, mostly replacing it, but preserving + improving features):
>
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+4+GUI+framework

I think a characteristic of Qt's recent development is that features kdelibs
already has/had, are picked up. Menus in ui files("XMLGUI") and launching web
browsers in a portable way, for example. From being a widgets & container
library "only", Qt has acquired a focus on desktop integration, which
previously exclusively was on KDE's turf.

That trend might continue on the XMLGUI/ui front. Let's say KDE 4.0 adds some
minor features, but in Qt 4.3 they have been deemed important and are
included, leaving kdelibs with a redundant, non-compatible, KDE-only layer.

I have nothing specific to suggest, but I'm thinking:

1. Try to get as much as possible into Qt.
2. Get a very clear idea of what the trolls are definitely "no-no" about
including later on and what they say "maybe" on, and take actions from that
appropriately. (For example, it perhaps is not that interesting to implement
something grandiose in KDE that will appear in nest Qt minor release)

For the purpose to have things in Qt instead of KDE, and avoid clashes in
functionality.

Cheers,

		Frans