KDE4 session

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 10:33:46 BST 2006

On Saturday 01 July 2006 08:46, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> is the low level socket communication in kdeinit, klauncher... still needed or can it be replaced by dbus?

I think it's still needed, since kdeinit has to remain very simple - given that it forks and dlopens kde modules,
anything that it initialized remains initialized for the processes it launches.
So the public API is klauncher's DBus interface, but internally klauncher asks kdeinit (via that socket)
to fork and "become" a given kde application, or a kioslave.
If kdeinit itself used dbus then after forking we'd have to clean up all dbus stuff before dlopening
the kde module, I'm not sure how/if that is doable.