which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Yves Glodt yg at mind.lu
Sun Jan 29 10:52:05 GMT 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 04:18, Matt Rogers wrote:

> > > The ABI makes little practical difference for us at the source
> > > edge.
> >
> > I'm still running Slackware 9.1 here. The latest released version
> > of Slackware is 10.2, which comes with gcc 3.3.6. Requiring gcc 3.4
> > or 4.0 would mean it can't be used on the currently latest
> > Slackware.
>
> Slackware 10.2 provides gcc 3.4 as well on one of the CDs, so it can
> be used on the latest Slackware.

(this is not a rant)

Slackware 9.1 seems to have hit the net in october 2003.
Here is the release announcement:
http://www.slackware.com/announce/9.1.php

It looks like any other 2,5 years old distro... : update-worthy
(kernel 2.4.22 anyone?)

Also, does kde-head not require hal and dbus, and thus udev which
certainly did not run on a 2.4 kernel?

Also, as it has xfree86 4.3, so there is no composite extension.

So instead of having the pain of manually updating single packages
(kernel, X), it's a lot easier to update the complete distro.

And as kde-head advances, there might be other features that work only
on an up-to-date distro...

And for how many more years will slackware provide security updates to
9.1?

So updating in this case seems to be just a good idea...

have a nice day,
Yves