Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Jan 28 13:23:01 GMT 2006

Alexander Dymo wrote:

> I think we should make the next KDevelop not process-oriented,
> tool-oriented or framework-oriented but rather developer-oriented and
> workflow-oriented. Then it will IMHO gain more attention from developers.
> We need to make them feel that there's an IDE that works for them in the
> way they want. Unfortunately now it feels like a developer is employed by
> the IDE. And this feeling is true for almost all IDEs out there...

I completely agree that "workflow-friendly" IDE will be a killer app, and
it's good to start thinking on workflows that KDevelop will support.

But at the same time, I'd say the biggest problem of KDevelop is lack of
usability. And if you come up with great workflow but it will be poorly
implemented, it won't lead us anywhere.

The lack of usability is in turn, a direct result of lack of maintenance.
Say, I know one way to greatly increase KDevelop's usability -- remove the
"main" toolbar that's full of very rarely needed buttons. I have little
hope that usability issues can be decided by group consensus. So, can you
name the person who is responsible of evaluating that proposal, and saying
either "yes", or "no", in a timely fasion?

BTW, shouldn't this discussion, at least partially, be moved to
kdevelop-devel?

- Volodya