is new lib dependency possible for 3.5.2?

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Jan 29 21:34:33 GMT 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 21:45, Leo Savernik wrote:
> It is not about *some* C-library, it's about *glib*, without which nothing
> of gnome would remotely exist. If we introduce a hard dependency on glib
> (we have too many soft ones already), I can vividly imagine the Ximian
> marketing meisters telling corporate IT deciders, "... it [KDE] is based on
> the same libraries like gnome, but needlessly duplicates functionality. So
> it uses up twice the RAM and is twice as slow. Why going with the cheap
> copy when you can have the original?". This statement is full of lies, but
> it's called marketing for a reason.

Just for the record:
* I don't care if a library is used in Gnome or not. If you want to object to
using glib for technical reasons, by all means discuss them here. If you only
want to whine about paranoid fears for another free software project then
please shut up and move your complaints elsewhere. They add tons of noise
here and don't serve a useful goal.

* As you may have read on kde-promo or the gnome marketing list there is now a
freedesktop.org promo list [1] where KDE and GNOME are trying to set up a
shared marketing effort. As it stands now KDE needs GNOME and vice versa. The
main competition is the commercial world, dominated by two big companies, and
the emerging IT markets in Asia where most people don't use computers yet. It
only harms the both of our projects to get stuck in internal competition, and
your statement does exactly that. So please, stick to technical arguments and
leave any gnome-kde debate out of here.

Thank you for your consideration,

--
Martijn