which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jan 29 13:00:10 GMT 2006

Torsten Rahn wrote:
>Am Freitag, 27. Januar 2006 20:49 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
>> gcc 3.0/3.1:  0% (0 votes)
>> gcc 3.2:      0% (2 votes)
>> gcc 3.3:     11% (46 votes)
>> gcc 3.4:     29% (127 votes)
>> gcc 4.0:     45% (193 votes)
>> gcc >= 4.1:  14% (60 votes)
>>
>> So from the developer POV, I'd say gcc 3.3 should be supported, this
>> would force only 1.5 % percent of the developers to upgrading.
>
>While I didn't follow the topic too much I think it would be appropriate
> to think about how the results will have shifted in about 12 months.
> Judging from the trend I wouldn't be surprised if it would turn out to
> be something like:
>
>gcc 3.3: 6%  gcc 3.4:     20%   gcc 4.0:     40% (193 votes)
>
>So if it would be up to me I'd make the cut at 3.4 and not at 3.3.

Ok, compromise:

We officially support gcc 3.3 for now. Let's see how things go by until
the first KDE 4.0 alpha and then we'll reevaluate.

If gcc 3.3 proves to be relatively easy to maintain (not many compilation
fix commits) and we still have a considerable share of developers and
distributors using it, we'll keep the support for the final 4.0 release.

Otherwise, we scrap it and go for 3.4.2.

And continuing: which other (non-gcc) compilers do we want/have to
support? I've heard Sun's SunPro compiler mentioned and I know Stefan
keeps a large set of patches (though last time I looked at it, I saw some
changes that would not be accepted in Subversion).

We'll probably want to support one version or another of Microsoft's
VisualStudio C++ compiler -- one of the less broken versions. We can
choose from the list of those supported by Qt.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."