which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Jan 28 15:20:32 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 15:24, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Friday 27 January 2006 19:17, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > This is how gcc 2.95 support in KDE
> > 3 has worked -- there's maybe a half dozen people who use gcc 2.95
> > (Stefan Teleman? the FreeBSD team when doing packaging for
> > 4-LEGACY, which is EOL'ed this year?) and that has meant a fair
> > number of commits that keep things working with gcc 2.95.
>
> Wha ? :-) gcc-2.95 on Solaris ? :-) No-No.

It's what I used, in any case .. it did mean I had to start with building gcc
2.95 and a complete set of supporting libraries with it, but yeah.

> i use SunPro (SunStudio 11 for 3.5.1, SunStudio 10 for 3.4.x). can't
> mix _any_ gcc with SunPro because they are 100% ABI incompatible.
>
> Official position: i have no official position on gcc because KDE
> Solaris doesn't use gcc. :-)

Which makes your official position: and it must also support SunStudio 11 --
if KDE switches to, say "gcc 4 only" then our (semi-)friendly UNIX platforms
like Solaris, HPUX and AIX go out the window.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.